Volkswagen has released a series of teaser images showing a premium SUV concept for the upcoming Beijing Motor Show. Branded as “one of the most advanced luxury SUVs in the world”, the new concept could provide the foundation for the next-generation Touareg.
The China-bound concept will feature a plug-in hybrid powertrain that is capable of providing 376 hp and 699 Nm of torque. Details are scarce at the moment but VW says the SUV accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in six seconds flat and has a top speed of 223 km/h.
On the greener end of the spectrum, the concept is expected to return an NEDC combined fuel consumption of 3.6 litres per 100 km. It will also have a pure electric range of up to 50 km.
As for technology, the SUV concept continues the automakers digitalisation of the automobile with a new level of interactivity. The Active Info Display and infotainment system are merged, and the vehicle will have a “lounge-style” interior (individual seats, perhaps?) with full access to the systems for the passengers.
The images may not reveal much but the automaker’s trademark design cues are easy to spot. We’ll have a better look at the concept when it makes its debut, which will come in a week’s time.
BEIJING CONCEPT SHOWS VOLKSWAGEN’S NEW HIGH-TECH DIRECTION IN THE PREMIUM SUV SEGMENT
Apr 17, 2016
– The concept is one of the most advanced luxury SUVs in the world
– Concept moves luxury SUV design to a more sporty and elegant level
– The vehicle further demonstrates Volkswagen’s continued digitilization of the automobile
– Digital operation and display system enables a completely new level of interactivity
– Active Info Display and infotainment system merge
– More than ever, the lounge-style interior and digitized operation are centered on passengers
– SUV has a plug-in-hybrid powertrain with 376 horsepower total output and 516 pound-feet of torque
– The fully electric range of the SUV is up to 50 kilometers or 31 miles
– The predicted NEDC combined fuel consumption is 78 mpg
– The concept accelerates from 0 to 62 mph in 6.0 seconds and has a top speed of 139 mph